Friday, April 9, 2010

Our traveling experience: Welcome to Sydney!

Although I have traveled before, I have never stayed in a hostel. This experience is very new to me and I have been somewhat apprehensive. After we feel asleep on the first night we woke up to a girl moving into our room. I was surprised to see a total stranger coming into our room and nervous for how this situation would pan out. We never saw this girl in daylight, never spoke one word to her, and she was gone first thing in the morning. Although this concept is somewhat bizarre to me, I am learning to think more outside my box (comfort zone) and become more open-minded to these types of experiences. It also helps that it has been a couple of days and nothing of ours is missing from the room :).
For the most part we have walked to tour the city. We have taken a free bus/shuttle around to the further destinations like the Opera
House and Harbour Bridge. Australians have really impressed me with their outspokenness and ability to offer advice to complete strangers. I am unsure if we just look like we don't know what we are doing, but many people have helped to steer us on the right path. For instance, when we were visiting the Opera House and Harbour Bridge we were planning on taking a ferry back to Darling Harbour (which is close to where we are staying). The man suggested we not take the ferry but instead take a jet cruiser, this allowed for a forty-five minute tour. The boat tour was excellent and I could not have been more grateful for his advice. Today we traveled by train to reach the Blue Mountains. Unfortunately, it rained the entire journey so our view was somewhat obstructed. It was very nice to take a break from the city and see more of the countryside. The train system is very similar to ours except for the fact that the seats flip back and forth, allowing passengers to face the direction they are moving. So far our travel experience has been a blast and a great growing opportunity... more to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment