Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How This Experience Has Changd me

Doing a teaching placement in Australia has helped me grow in numerous ways. Not only did I benefit from this experience educationally, but personally as well. I learned a lot of teaching techniques that were different from those we use here. Perhaps one of the most influential aspect of my teaching experience was the community culture of the school. I have taken away the desire to build and foster relationships with all of the staff members at whichever school I am placed in. In Australia all the teachers gathered in the staff lounge for all breaks and lunch, which was very different from my experience here at home.
After dealing with people of all cultures, races, and personalities I feel I have developed in my communication skills. I worked and lived with people I have never met before, which was a challenge but forced me to think outside of my box and comfort zone. This has made me more confident in my abilities to work effectively with a variety of people.
I feel I have become way more cultured than I previously was. I took in a lot from all of those I interacted with in Australia. I spent all of my time trying to learn as much as I could. Upon my arrival back in America I have realized how many positive aspects of the Australian culture I have benefited from. I became more open to people’s differences and accepting of others. The culture in Australia is extremely laid back and accepting of others. Every person I interacted with from the teachers to the waiters in restaurants was extremely nice and helpful. This has changed me and really made me aspire to be a genuinely nice and caring person.

No comments:

Post a Comment